Monday, January 26, 2004

From the Movie Snob:

Girl With a Pearl Earring. (C) I saw this independent flick last week with a charming, affable, and witty friend of mine from work. The critic in the local paper just raved about this movie, but I was not overwhelmed. It tells the story of Griet (Scarlett Johansson), a Dutch servant girl who gets a position in the home of master painter Johannes Vermeer (Colin Firth). He takes an interest in her, and she eventually sits for the portrait that is now known as "Girl With a Pearl Earring." I didn't think the movie was all that insightful into the artistic mind or process. Mostly it made me grateful I am not living in the 17th century -- especially as a servant girl to a moody artist and his annoying family. My companion loved the movie, especially the part where Vermeer's creepy old mother-in-law shrieked, "You are a fly in his web! . . . We all are!!!" In fact, she's still quoting that line this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter