Thursday, April 01, 2004

Guest review from A View From Mars:

Dawn of the Dead (C+/B-) I'll say right up front that I never saw George Romero's '78 original. At the very least, I was able to view this "re-envisioned" version on it's own merit. The basic premise I would imagine doesn't stray too far from the original in that dead people have inhabited the U.S. (for whatever reason) and aimlessly roam around hunting the non-infected survivors. This particular story takes place in a suburb in Wisconsin where your stereotypical cast of characters have alligned forces and taken up fort at their local mall in an effort to survive. The cast did not include any of your standout names although you will recognize more than a few. Ving Rames as a cop (what else would he play) and Sarah Polley (who I thoroughly enjoyed in Go and who I liken to an Uma Thurman lite) as a fiesty nurse are two of the bigger names who will no doubt try and save the day. I was torn between the level of ratings as to give this movie. The C-level was due to the fact that I couldn't help but be distracted in that I had seen this movie more effectively done when it was called 28 Days Later. The B-level was achieved because I knew to expect more-or-less a popcorn flick and to take it for what it was without your high expectations. As an occasional fan of the horror genre, I can assuredly say that I'm not one to jump in their seats when the moment presents itself on screen. However, jumper or not, I don't think that this movie even offered any of this and if it did, I'm sure you saw it coming a block away. I will note that you should stay through the credits after the last frame as the producers offered a clever if not tricky motive to offer a continued conclusion. If you're in the mood, this movie will satisfy you...nothing more, nothing less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter