Saturday, December 18, 2004

A review from The Movie Snob.

Alfie (2004) (B+). I never saw the old Michael Caine version of this movie, so I had no preconceptions going into the dollar movie theater where I saw this flick. (There were maybe four people in the whole auditorium; I guess everybody else was down the hall watching Anaconda 2.) Anyhow, this is basically Jude Law’s movie. He plays Alfie, a British bachelor living in New York. He works as a limousine driver, and his hobby is having sex with virtually any attractive woman that crosses his path. And he makes a running commentary on his life directly to the camera for the entire movie, which I suppose some would find irritating; personally, I didn’t mind it. To me, the movie bore more than a passing resemblance to the Hugh Grant movie About a Boy (which I also enjoyed very much). Both examine the situation of the middle-aged, unattached male in modern society, although About a Boy is a much lighter and essentially comic take on the subject than Alfie is. Is the middle-aged bachelor a figure to be envied or pitied? I thought this was a very good and realistic attempt to answer that question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter