Monday, February 07, 2005

DVD reviews from Nick at Nite:

AVP

This movie combines two of the world's greatest science-fiction franchises, the "no one can hear you scream in space" Alien series and the governator (Arnold and Jess Ventura) vehicle Predator, into one film. However, without Ripley and either of the governors this movie isn't quite up to snuff. The Aliens are not very scary anymore and for God's sake the Predator is not our friend. Apparently the difficulty of coming up with a new fifth story in the Alien series proved so difficult that the writers chose to go with no story at all. It has worked in other franchises, Superman IV, Star Trek V, The Karate Kid III, and The Godfather III, however, just because it worked for these great films did not mean it would work here. This movie stinks. I recommend it to no one. If you are into this kind of stuff go and buy the box set from the first Alien series and rent the first Predator movie, you will be much happier with the originals. I give this movie a "D."

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow

This is the only movie that Jude Law made last year that is worth seeing. I haven't seen any of the other movies he made last year, but I am guessing they stink because based on the previews they were not action movies. This movie could have been called Sky Captain and The World of Not Ever Going to Happen But Still Looks Really Cool in a Movie. My guess is they chose the shorter title because it fits on the movie poster better. This is a visually stunning film. The 1940s futuristic robots, dirigibles, and rockets were very cool. I am still not sure what it was about because I could not divert my eyes from the next cgi effect. Needless to say, bad guys want to do in the world and it is up to Sky Captains from all over the planet to save the day. It is a little Indiana Jones' at points. I really liked it. I give it a "A-."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter