Monday, May 02, 2005

New review from Nick at Nite:

Fever Pitch

I love baseball. Is there anything more American? (except for winning the hearts and minds of people in third-world countries by invading their country and toppling whatever puppet government we previously installed). The smell of hotdogs, the hot glare of the sun, and the crack of a wooden bat - baseball is the perfect game. I won't go so far as to say that Fever Pitch is a perfect movie, but it is a very good date movie and is an excellent demonstration of how someone can love a team or game as much as they do (some call it an obsession - I call it a healthy marriage). This movie is the screenplay of a book about an English soccer fan's obsession with the Liverpool football club. I understand the book has a different ending than the movie (and it is a different sport) so it is probably worth checking out.

Anywho . . . this movie follows the escapades of Jimmy Fallon's character, an obsessed and cursed Boston RedSox fan, as he meets Drew Barrymore's character, a stuck-up, whiny, high-strung yuppie. Drew falls for Jimmy's "offseason" guy only to learn that she might not like Jimmy's "baseball" season guy. I don't want to give away the movie, but if you have been in prison or hate sports . . . the RedSox won the World Series last year . . . so the end of the movie heads that direction. I really enjoyed this film. I thought Jimmy's character was likeable and believable. I thought Drew was serviceable, but she has been much better --- see Fifty First Dates. Having been to a ton of baseball games, including a Red Sox v. Yankees game . . . let me say this movie very realistically portrayed the plight of these fans. I give it an A and say check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter