Thursday, December 01, 2005

New reviews from Nick at Nite:

Harry Potter

I'll admit it, I am hooked. At first I refused to read the books. I simply would not buy into the hysteria. Like Trix, it was for kids. Plus, it was British and we all know Britain hasn't had anything good besides Gwyneth Paltrow in a very long time. (She is British, isn't she?). One night I was starving for something to read and the only thing I could find was the first Harry Potter book I had originally purchased for my wife. Fifteen pages in and I was sold. A magical story about wizards, witches, goblins and such - I simply could not put the book down. It is not the Lord of the Rings, but it is still pretty darn good. I look forward to the movies and each new book. I have not been disappointed by any. The old axiom that the book is always better than the movie it still true as it applies to the Harry Potter series - but the movies hold up pretty well.

As the books, and movies, progress they have gotten longer, better, and more mature (not in any deviant, unhealthy way). It is as if they were intended to mature and age at the same rate as the kids the books were originally targeted at. The Goblet of Fire isn't for small kids. People die. There is significant violence. He who must not be named makes an appearance and is generally evil and scary. I do have some complaints regarding the movie versus the book. It leaves out some significant issues. First, what about SPEW. The group started by Hermoine to protest the treatment of the house elves. And second, what about the weird relationship between Hagrid, and the "she won't admit it, but I am a Giant" Headmistress from the creepy, all girl's Stepford wives' school. All in all, I think it works very well. They need to get the rest of the movies finished before the kids get too old. They stopped being cute kids after the first movie, now they are just awkward teenagers. I give it an "A."

Arrested Development

Call, write, take a hostage, go on a hunger strike, do what you must, Arrested Development must be saved. I have finished watching seasons one and two on DVD and confirm what the sophisticated critics have been saying for two years ... this is the best show on television (Lost is a close second, but I am only half way thru the first season on DVD). At first, I had no interest in watching. It has Jason Bateman in it. It is on FOX and is not Football or Baseball. This story, the story of an older brother who runs the family business while trying to protect his family is sure brilliance. From the father, who is imprisoned for building tract homes in Iraq, to brother Gob, the magician who rides a Sedgway scooter, to one, armed, slow-witted brother, to Tobias, the never nude ... it is funny at every turn. Here is my suggestion. If you have not seen it ... rent the first disc of season one. Watch all of the episodes, if you don't think it is funny, send me, The Movie Snob a request for your money back. You have my money-back guarantee on this one. I give it an "A+."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter