Friday, January 12, 2007

Stop Making Sense

DVD Review from That Guy Named David

Stop Making Sense (B+)

For whatever reason, I have seen several music documentaries in the past year or so. I have raved on and on about No Direction Home, director Martin Scorsese's lengthy documentary about Bob Dylan. This led me to rent Heart of Gold, director Jonathan Demme's documentary on one concert performed by Neil Young in Nashville (which was horrible, by the way). So, when a friend put in Stop Making Sense, another documentary directed by Demme from the mid-80's about the Talking Heads, I was a bit skeptical. For those of you unfamiliar with the Talking Heads, they are best known for the songs "Once in a Lifetime," "Take Me to the River," and "Burning Down the House," as well as their unusual antics on stage and in their videos. Well, I must admit having a deeper appreciate for the Talking Heads after watching that video. Granted, the video was playing while we were drinking and playing cards; however, it dominated my attention, and we actually put it in to watch for a second time. I only wish I would have discovered the video while I was in college, but alas...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter