Thursday, February 27, 2003

These reviews are courtesy of John. John is the oldest member of our Movie Court, and we sometimes affectionately refer to him as "The Grade Inflater." But he was surprisingly rough on this latest batch of reviews....

Shanghai Knights. (C+) The follow-up to the surprisingly entertaining Shanghai Noon, starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. This time, they're in England chasing down the ...yada yada yada. Mildly amusing but more of the same. I like Owen Wilson (ex- boyfriend in Meet The Parents) enough to make it worth a matinee, but am uncomfortable making a recommendation.

Old School. (B) I laughed out loud a few times, mostly at Will Ferrell's idiotic hijinks. There was enough funny stuff to keep me entertained and at least a semblance of a plot, albeit completely unrealistic, to officially qualify it as a top-notch guy flick, for what that's worth. A relative lack of the gross-out Austin Powers Goldmember-type humor was a positive.

The Good Girl. (D+) I rented what I believed to be some basic chick-flick feel good movies. I got this one wrong (maybe I'll actually read the box for a description of the movie next time). Jennifer Aniston plays a hapless check-out girl at a generic dept. store who's discontent with her bland life. John C. Reilly plays the likeable but simple underachieving devoted husband. Jennifer meets a Holden Caulfield wanna-be and her life becomes even more of a struggle. Aniston is a reasonably good, as is Reilly, but the movie is just a depressing bag of turmoil (works well with geraniums). I thought it sucked, frankly, though there were a few humorous scenes involving a female co-worker.

Finally, with due respect to the Queen, I liked Undercover Brother. No way that's an F. I agree fully with the One Hour Photo review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter