Friday, April 23, 2004

That Guy Named David meditates on killing Bill:

Kill Bill Vol. I and II (B+).

As a kid, I remember watching Bruce Lee's movie "Enter the Dragon" and being mildly entertained. Then, in college, my roommate was a big "Kung Fu" freak, so I watched countless episodes of David Carradine wandering through the Old West beating the hell out of anyone that got into his way, all the while remaining Zen-like in his search for some everlasting truth. Well, Tarantino's "Kill Bill" takes these kung fu spaghetti westerns and transforms them into a 21st century hit. The movie begins with the Bride (Uma) being beat to a pulp and shot by a gang of assassins (Vivica Fox, Lucy Lui, Michael Madson, and Daryll Hannah) and Bill (Carradine). Without giving away the movie, let's just say that Uma goes on a bit of a rampage after she awakes from her coma, seeking revenge upon the aforementioned killers. Vol. I contains a ton of violence, but it almost has a comedic effect in the way it is portrayed. Vol. II picks up right where Vol. I leaves off and does a great job of answering all the questions raised in Vol. I, without all the heads and limbs being chopped off. I absolutely love watching Tarantino movies, and this one is no exception. Go see this, but unlike the idiot in the movie theater in row 2, leave your kid at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter