Sunday, November 21, 2004

From The Movie Snob:

Shall We Dance? (B). This weekend I found myself in the small town of Mason, Texas. Mason is the home of the Odeon Theater, touted by locals as the oldest working movie theater in Texas, so of course I had to check it out. Unfortunately, the Odeon has only one screen, and my choice was to see this Richard Gere–Jennifer Lopez concoction or nothing. I bit the bullet and paid my $4. To my surprise, this was quite an enjoyable little movie (a remake of a Japanese film I never saw). Gere is John Clark, a successful professional man (a wills-and-estates lawyer, as far as I could tell) who has a nice wife (Susan Sarandon) and two perfectly decent kids. But for some reason he’s not happy, and during his angst-ridden commute home from work he spies J. Lo several times, brooding in the window of a rundown dance studio. Soon enough he finds himself jumping off the train and signing up for ballroom dance lessons. After that, the movie and its characters develop nicely. Clark’s new friends at the studio are interesting, even eccentric, but they don’t degenerate into caricatures. Clark’s wife, an intelligent woman, starts to suspect that Clark is being unfaithful but tries to handle the situation as reasonably as possible. And of course there’s some tension between Clark and J. Lo. (I forget her character’s name. J. Lo, probably.) Maybe it’s just because my expectations were so low, but I enjoyed the heck out of this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter