Friday, July 29, 2005

A book review from That Guy Named David.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (A)

No, I am not 12 years old; although, I tend to act like it at times. That being said, I am pretty sure that most parents wouldn't want their 12 year olds reading the newest novel in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Like many of my colleagues and a certain girlfriend I have, I was skeptical of the Harry Potter series when the first books came out and wondered how anyone over the age of 10 would have any interest in reading about a teenage wizard and his group of friends. However, while I was studying for the bar and looking for anything to do to get away from studying for the bar, I decided that I would hole myself up in my room where everyone thought I was studying and read the first novel. I finished it in a little over a day and immediately went to the next one. Since then, I have anxiously awaited the release of all the books (however, I am not one of the freaks that dresses up like a wizard and goes to Barnes and Noble for the midnight release; I do that in my home where there is more privacy). But enough about me . . . the latest Harry Potter continues the saga of Harry Potter vs. his long-time nemesis, Voldemort (the Dark Wizard who tried to kill Harry as a child). Voldemort has made his return to the wizarding world after a hiatus of 15 years or so and is raising hell left and right while gathering supporters (known as Death Eaters) at every turn. Harry, of course, is back at Hogwarts School of Wizardry, and with Dumbledore (the school's headmaster), he is learning as much about Voldemort's past as possible so that he has the tools available to finally defeat the Dark Wizard once and for all. As mentioned above, the types of scenes described in this book are not exactly child-friendly, and as has widely been reported, there is one high-profile death in the book. That being said, Rowling has an uncanny ability to describe the scenes and characters with such detail and keep the book flowing that it makes it difficult to ever put the book down once you start reading. In the Half-Blood Prince, she introduces some romance plot-lines to the characters to add to the basic fantasy/mystery plot-lines that have kept the series going through the first several installments. If you haven't read any of the books, I highly recommend you do so . . . mostly so I won't continue to be mocked, but also because I think you might just enjoy them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter