Sunday, July 17, 2005

Stage reviews from The Movie Snob.

Cinderella. The Plano Repertory Theater is presenting Rodgers and Hammerstein’s version of the classic fairy tale. Although I’ve never seen the Disney version, the musical tracks what I know about the movie pretty closely — obnoxious stepmother and stepsisters, fairy godmother, pumpkin coach, glass slipper, the whole nine yards. The songs are nice, the actresses who play Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother can really sing, and the PRT production values were exceptional as always. And, as the program informs you, when Julie Andrews starred in a live television version in 1957, it was watched by 107 million viewers. And yet . . . there was just something a little slight about it, especially compared to similar shows such as Camelot and Beauty and the Beast. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a perfectly fine little musical — it’s just not an epic. Keep your expectations modest, and you’ll thoroughly enjoy it.

Movin’ Out. What is this animal? Is it a Billy Joel concert that just happens to have a bunch of people dancing around on stage, front and center? Or is it a ballet that just happens to be set to Billy Joel songs? I have never seen a ballet, so I’m going with the former. Whatever it is, I really liked it. Of course, it helps to like Billy Joel’s music, and if you hate his stuff you will have a very hard time liking this show. As for the dancing, it is something else. As I say, I know nothing about the aesthetics of dance; all I can say is that I found the dancing pleasing to the eye and the athleticism of the dancers nothing short of amazing. Remember that old TV show "Dance Fever," on which a panel of B-celebrity judges would grade various dancing couples, and the ones who had the most athletic/gymnastic-type moves (and the skimpiest costumes) always won? This kind of reminded me of that. Oh, there’s also a story of sorts, about the Vietnam War and Brenda and Eddie (from the song "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant") and Anthony (from the song "Movin’ Out") and James and Judy (from no song I ever heard before). But I think you’d be just as entertained if you ignored it. I recommend it. I think it’s playing for another week in Dallas and then travels to the Bass over in Fort Worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter