Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Nick at Nite sounds off:

King Kong

This movie is not Howard the Duck. King Kong is not ALF. Not once did I think of Mothra. King Kong is simply the best of the season. With the exception of the last line - which is lifted straight from the original - I loved every single minute of this film. Peter Jackson is to this generation of Saturday matinee attendees what Stephen Spielberg was to the last generation of Saturday matinee attendees, a movie maker who could be counted on for making big films that you wanted to see over and over again. King Kong is long, but it is worth it. There is a plot. A back story developed over an hour's time is thoroughly engaging. The real strength of the movie is in King Kong himself. At the end of the movie, if you don't find yourself feeling sorry for the ape - a complete CGI creation - then you have no heart. Andy Sedarkis, a.k.a Gollum, deserves an Oscar nod for his role. My guess is he will be denied again. I give this movie an "A." I'll probably go see it again. And I have to pay for a babysitter to do it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fettuccine Alfredo said...

If it's that great... how come Ann Darrow didn't get the least bit dirty running through the jungle, crawling through a hollowed out tree, or sleeping in Kong's hand?

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because there is no dirt on a green screen in CGI world ... I didn't notice this problem because I was too focused on the giant T-Rex and bugs of abnormal size.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter