Monday, January 22, 2007

The Last King of Scotland

From The Movie Snob:

The Last King of Scotland (B+). I have avoided seeing The Departed because I tell myself that I don't like violent movies. Yet, now I have seen three pretty violent movies in a row, and liked them all. This one is getting Oscar buzz for Forest Whitaker's portrayal of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin, and he does turn in a typically fine performance. However, I also thought that James McAvoy did a very good job as a young Scottish doctor who goes to Uganda more or less on a whim, by sheer coincidence gets brought into Amin's inner circle, and ultimately is very, very lucky to escape from the murderous dictator with his life. The fact that Amin died in comfortable exile in Saudi Arabia only a few years ago is a travesty of justice. Good movie, but be prepared for some pretty gruesome violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter