Saturday, May 05, 2007

Wicked (stage review)

From The Movie Snob

Wicked. The national production company of the phenomenally popular musical Wicked returned to Dallas recently. I bought my tickets over a year ago, after last year's run sold out. From the looks of the crowd, this one was sold out too, and the crowd was even rowdier than the one for the Kelly Clarkson concert I saw last summer. Wicked is the story of how a green girl named Elphaba became the Wicked Witch of the West in the merry old land of Oz. Turns out that she and Glinda the Good were actually friends back at school, had a crush on the same guy, etc., etc. It was a fine production, and the actresses who played the two leads have fine voices, but the story and the songs never really took flight for me. And I wasn't too sure that the story entirely fit with the facts we know from The Wizard of Oz. (They definitely do not fit with the history of Oz as told in the other delightful Oz books written by L. Frank Baum.) But the audience loved it, and I enjoyed it pretty well too, so I can't knock it too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter