Friday, June 15, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean 3

From the desk of The Movie Snob

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (B). I was not excited about going to see this movie. I thought the first installment was okay, but part two, Dead Man's Chest, was a big confusing mess. I had no idea who was trying to do what, or why they were trying to do it. So I rather dreaded seeing At World's End, especially since it clocks in at 2:45.

But, perhaps because my expectations were so low, I actually rather enjoyed it. I figured out that Will Turner (Orlando Bloom, Troy) was trying to rescue his father from his fate as a member of the crew of The Flying Dutchman, captained by Davy Jones (Bill Nighy, Shaun of the Dead). I'm reasonably sure that Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp, Edward Scissorhands) was trying to find Davy Jones so that he could take his place and become immortal. What Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley, King Arthur) was trying to do, I still have no idea, but she looked very fetching doing it. Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush, The Tailor of Panama) chewed the scenery nicely. The movie could have been shorter, but I didn't even mind the ridiculously long running time. Will there be a sequel? The ending certainly does not rule it out....

P.S. I did not stay through the end of the closing credits, but I just read that there is something to see after they finish rolling. I don't know what it is, so whether it's worth another 10 minutes of sitting I cannot say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter