Monday, April 28, 2008

Closure: The Problem with Money

A review from The Movie Snob

Closure: The Problem With Money (A). This is a locally produced independent movie that has not yet been picked up for national distribution, but negotiations for a possible distribution deal are apparently underway. A friend of mine is a star in the movie, so I was privileged to attend a screening at a local Methodist church several days ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll keep you faithful readers informed if I learn anything else about a theatrical release.

The first thing to say is that Closure is a Christian movie -- indeed, a pivotal scene takes place in the very church where I saw the film -- but I think it should appeal to everyone who is open-minded and sincerely looking for the answers to life's biggest questions. The plot is a generally familiar one -- a worldly and successful businessman named John Money gets a visit from the Angel of Death and learns that he has about 24 hours to live. Once he's convinced that he's not hallucinating, he goes on a quest to figure out if he has lived his life as a good person, if there's really a heaven, and how to get there. The acting is quite good and the dialogue is very believable, and together these elements effectively draw you into the story of a man suddenly confronted with his own mortality in a stark way. Although the message is certainly a Christian one, I did not at all feel that the movie was too "preachy" or anything like that. It is simply a good, family-friendly movie, and although the topic is serious, it is not without its humorous moments. I particularly enjoyed the off-beat characterization of the Angel of Death as a disorganized guy who likes Hawaiian shirts and eclairs and who wants people to call him "Lucky." I also must give a special shout out to my friend Susan, who does a terrific job playing John Money's wife Vanessa -- a gentle and decent soul who is a little perplexed at her husband's sudden interest in theological issues.

I hope you have a chance to see this fine movie, which is clearly a labor of love. I'll keep you posted on its distribution prospects!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter