Monday, May 12, 2008

The Golden Compass (book review)

Book review from Nick at Nite

The Golden Compass

I don’t care what anybody says, I have now read this book and I just don’t get it. The author could come right out and say that it is anti-God and I still wouldn’t believe him. It is like saying Animal Farm is about the Russian Revolution (my English teacher thought I wasn’t paying attention). In any event, this book is about a girl on some crazy adventure with Gyptians and a talking polar bear and it reads like any other science fiction book to me. Perhaps, I am dense. Seems to me that you get out of a book what you want to get out of it. It is called imagination. You read a book and you usually get a picture in your head. When I read this book I got the picture in my head of a girl on some crazy adventure with Gyptians and a talking polar bear. I did not get a picture in my head of church or anything church related. I will say this. I did not really think it was a kid friendly book. Lots of killing and fighting. So if your objection to the book was that it is not appropriate for very young readers, you might be right. I give it a “B.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter