Friday, February 27, 2009

Henry Poole Is Here

DVD review from The Movie Snob

Henry Poole Is Here (B). Luke Wilson (Old School) plays the title character, a middle-aged guy who looks like he is just about to implode. As the movie opens, he wearily buys a nondescript house in a nondescript California suburb, buys a shopping cart full of liquor and junk food at the supermarket, and looks like he is settling in to drink himself to death. But then his curious neighbor Esperanza (Adriana Barraza, Babel) pays a visit, and she becomes convinced she sees the face of Christ in a water stain on the side of his house. And then Henry meets his other next-door neighbors--the lovely Dawn (Radha Mitchell, Finding Neverland) and her troubled six-year-old daughter Millie. (Does anyone really name their daughter Millie these days? The only Millie I have ever known is 60+ years old now.) What is Henry's secret sorrow? And is there really a miraculous image on the side of his house? I was drawn in by this little movie, and if my little description remotely appeals to you, I urge you to give it a try.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd give this move a B+. I really liked it. My only complaint was that I thought it dragged a little towards the end. But well acted, and the little girl was great, and I really enjoyed the story. I'll admit I got a little weepy a couple of times, and I laughed a number of times. And I found the busybody neighbor very good-natured and lovable.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter