Monday, February 23, 2009

Pride & Prejudice (stage review)

From the desk of The Movie Snob

Pride & Prejudice (Repertory Company Theatre). Well, I didn't see this play in time for my review to help anybody decide to see to it. It ran from Feb. 13-22 at the Promenade Theatre on Coit Road in Richardson. But I case say that the production was of high quality and that I'll definitely be willing to see RCT productions in the future. This play was adapted from the Jane Austen novel by James Maxwell, and it's pretty faithful to the novel as best I can remember. Mr. and Mrs. Bennet have larger parts than I remember them having in the novel, and Mrs. Bennet in particular is an over-the-top character who is really played for laughs. The actors in the major roles all did splendidly, especially Elizabeth and Jane Bennet, and only a couple of the minor players wobbled a little bit. The acoustics were generally good, although it seemed like a couple of people were inadequately miked. The Promenade Theatre is a small one, only 9 rows of seats or so, so there's probably not a bad seat in the house. And at $20 ($25 for musicals), an RCT show is not a bad bargain. I urge you to give it a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter