Monday, July 13, 2009

The Essays of Leonard Michaels

Book review from The Movie Snob

The Essays of Leonard Michaels, edited by Katharine Ogden Michaels (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 2009). You know what's a dangerous combination? Going to my favorite McDonald's for breakfast on a weekend morning and reading book reviews in a magazine or newspaper. Know why? Because this particular McD's shares a parking lot with a Borders book store. So when I read a glowing review of this book, I somehow acquired a copy before I made it home again. I had never heard of Michaels (1933-2003), but the review sold me on the book. It had some interesting stuff in it, especially his story about writing a successful novel, then getting a contract to turn it into screenplay, and then actually getting the movie made. Interesting stuff. (The movie, The Men's Club, was not a success.) His autobiographical essays were also quite good. Still, I think I would have been wiser to just check it out of the library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter