Thursday, September 10, 2009

My One and Only

New review from The Movie Snob

My One and Only (A-). The Dallas Morning News gave this little independent flick a rave review, so I thought I would check it out. It probably doesn't really deserve this A-, but I just thoroughly enjoyed it. Supposedly it is loosely based on the life of the preternaturally tanned George Hamilton (Love at First Bite), and the protagonist is George as a 15-year-old back in the 1950s. His dad (Kevin Bacon, Footloose) is a bandleader, and his mom (Renee Zellweger, Cold Mountain) is a Southern lady who is used to being taken care of. But mom gets tired of dad's tomcatting around, and finally she packs George and his older half-brother Robbie into a car and takes off to start a new life. Basically it's George's coming-of-age story as the trio moves from town to town and his mom looks haplessly for a new husband. I'm not saying it's great art, but I had a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter