Thursday, November 05, 2009

Overboard

DVD review from The Movie Court

Overboard (D). Some young friends of mine insisted that I needed to watch this 1987 Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn flick. In fact, one of said friends actually loaned me the DVD. Oh, my. This is one of the worst movies I have seen in a while--maybe since the execrable Hello Again, starring Shelley Long. I know this movie came out 22 years ago, but surely the use of amnesia as a key plot device was worn out even back then. Anyhoo, Goldie Hawn plays a ridiculously wealthy witch of a woman who cheats Kurt Russell's blue-collar carpenter out of a weekend's wages. When she falls overboard from her yacht and gets amnesia, Russell gets revenge by claiming to be her husband and dragging her back to his hovel to clean, cook, and take care of his four monstrous boys. Crude sexual humor is sprinkled throughout, and we are treated (?) to a lengthy inspection of Hawn's white behind in the early going. I was also offended by the lame cover-band version of the ZZ Top classic "Legs" at the opening of Russell's dream business--a miniature golf course. Wretched, wretched stuff. Avoid at all costs.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? But "I like it when she says a buh buh buh buh." (said in a Pee Wee Herman voice)
-Diane

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this movie! Course, I haven't seen it in years, but I like this movie. I'd give it a B- at least, based on memory. :-)
-Borg Queen

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Movie Snob,

We must respectfully dissent with your opinion.
It lacks evidentiary support and is completely absent of any commentary regarding the movie's strong comedic value.

Only classic movies are quoted in pop culture.
This is certainly a classic.

--the interns

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter