Friday, July 16, 2010

American Austen (book review)

A book review from The Movie Snob

American Austen: The Forgotten Writing of Agnes Repplier (John Lukacs ed.,ISI Books 2009). How in the world did I come across this book of essays by forgotten writer Agnes Repplier? I got it as a free selection when I joined the ISI Book Club. Agnes Repplier lived in Philadelphia from 1855 to 1950, never married, and made a living as a writer/essayist. According to the dust jacket, she was "as esteemed in her own time as such writers as Dorothy Parker, Willa Cather, and Edith Wharton." Hmmm. Anyhoo, her writing is very polished and pleasant to read, but only some of the essays in this book really held my attention. I enjoyed the one about her days as a convent schoolgirl, and her essays about writing and the literary way of life, and the group collected under the heading "biographical sketches." But her essays about Philadelphia, America, and politics did not really strike my fancy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter