Sunday, March 30, 2003

The Emperor's New Groove. (B-) I'll admit it, I've been a fan of Disney movies since childhood. Not that I see every one that comes out; "Pocahontas," "Mulan," and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" all eluded me. But I've seen several since the renaissance began with "The Little Mermaid," and "Aladdin" and "Beauty and the Beast" are great favorites of mine. "Groove" definitely belongs in the category of minor Disney, like "Hercules," but it is fine for what it is--a good children's movie, without the winking adult jokes of "Aladdin" or darker storyline and superior music of "Beauty." It's far better than the torturous Disney movie about Atlantis, and it probably comes close to equalling the recent and unfairly overlooked "Treasure Planet." When you have an extra hour and fifteen minutes to kill, borrow the DVD from a friend who has small children, like I did.

Site Meter