Saturday, March 15, 2003

Stripes. (D) Although I consider myself very much a product of the 1980's (having spent the entirety of my teens in that decade), I was not much of moviegoer in those days, and many of the defining movies of my generation escaped me entirely. I missed Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, 48 Hours, Risky Business, St. Elmo's Fire, Bachelor Party, Beverly Hills Cop, and many other movies that I take to be paradigmatic of the period. I have been making some efforts to remedy that deficiency in my knowledge of the 80's, but I am getting the idea that you can't go home again. I watched Sixteen Candles not too long ago, and it was one of the most painfully unfunny movies I have ever seen. Stripes, as is evident from my grade, was not much better. Maybe if I had seen these movies as a teenager, I would have found them amusing. Somehow I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter