Tuesday, August 26, 2003

From That Guy Named David:

Chicago (B+)
This grade is the highest possible grade I can attribute to a musical based upon my inherent bias against musicals. So, it should reflect that I thought this one was very well done. Extremely creative writing, and I didn't want to shoot myself very often when I saw Richard Gere singing. Both Catherine Zeta Jones and Rene Zellweger were tremendous, as was the supporting cast. Very enjoyable (even if it was a musical).

Seabiscuit (B-)
While the self-proclaimed Movie Queen and I have many agreements, I must disagree a bit with her review of this summer's blockbuster "feel-good" movie. Maybe I had too high of expectations going into the movie, or maybe I ruined it by watching the Discovery Channel's presentation of "The True Story of Seabiscuit," but this movie just didn't live up to the hype for me. I thought the ending was great (as I am a sucker for the Hoosiers/Natural/every other sports movie endings); however, for the first hour, I was not into the movie at all and thought it wasn't well-developed. The acting by Chris Cooper and William Macy was splendid, as usual, but I still cannot understand the hype with Tobey Maguire. Overall, it was worth the watch, but I wish I hadn't expected it to be better than it was.

Bowling for Columbine (B+)
I'll admit being a big fan of Michael Moore ever since the first time I saw Roger & Me (which I still maintain rivals Hoop Dreams as the best documentary I have ever seen). In this documentary, Moore again showed why I am a fan. From the opening sequence showing Moore opening a bank account to get a free gun to when Charlton Heston walks out of their interview in a state of confusion as to what had just occurred, the mix of political statement with wit and humor and social awareness was well-done. I did think that Moore was a bit inconsistent at times in putting forth his message (ex. making a point to illustrate how poverty does not affect gun crimes and then immediately thereafter, telling the story of a "welfare to work" participate whose 6-year old unsupervised child shot and killed a classmate). That being said, someone needs to shine a spotlight on issues that most would like to turn a blind eye to, and if it takes the (albeit extreme) message of Michael Moore to do it to a degree, then so be it.

The Hunted (D-)
So, I make some mistakes every now and then. Who doesn't? Thinking that an action movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Oscar winner, Benecio Del Toro might be worth the rent was a definitely a mistake. Not entertaining in the least. If you have seen The Fugitive or the other Fugitive, you've seen this Tommy Lee Jones character. And I can't even begin to understand what kind of character Del Toro was playing in this movie. In order to save you the couple of hours in watching the movie, I'll give you the quick synopsis: Del Toro is GI Joe; Del Toro becomes GI Joe gone crazy and begins killing people hunting him down (for reasons never explained); Jones (former training officer) begins to hunt down Del Toro (hence the name of the movie); Jones finds him; Knife fight; Death. I just saved you $3.00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter