Wednesday, December 03, 2003

From Elder Statesman John:

Bad Santa. (D+) Plainly, this is supposed to be a sort of anti-Christmas movieā€”a tale about a foul-mouthed and boozy department-store Santa played by the ubiquitous Billy Bob Thornton. It had gotten mostly good reviews so I was ready for some hearty laughs. I was sorely disappointed. Maybe it was my mood, my age and/or my good taste, but I found very little to enjoy. There were a couple of funny lines/scenes but they weren't real funny. The drunk sour-puss schtick was never particularly clever and the suspension of logic necessary to embrace the plot was something I couldn't handle. Two bright spots: the late John Ritter does a nice turn as a squirrelly store manager and the gal Billy "romances" is good-looking and even charming, begging the question why she's so smitten with a Bad Santa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter