Thursday, November 06, 2003

Another CD review from That Guy Named David:

The Best of REM: In Time 1988-2003 (B+)

As a child of the late 80's/early 90's, I was in my teenage years when REM blew up after Out of Time with "Losing My Religion," etc. I had been a bit of a fan for several years when my first serious high school girlfriend (kinda an oxymoron) turned me on to Eponymous, which documented their greatest hits off Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, Document, and the early college radio material. While, for the most part, I am still a bigger fan of their earlier material, I found this c.d. contains almost all of their post-Eponymous hits. I was a little disappointed that this album contained such lame songs as "Stand" and "Electrolite," while omitting "Radio Song," "Drive," and "Texarkana." However, the inclusion of pure greatness, such as "Man on the Moon," "Orange Crush," "Daysleeper," and "Nightswimming" made up for it. Plus, the c.d. contains a few new songs, including "Bad Day," which is probably the best REM song I have heard in the past several years. While I probably have most of these songs on various c.d.'s, this compilation was well worth the buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter