Monday, April 26, 2004

The Movie Snob on the performing arts:

Last weekend a friend and I took in a performance by a Dallas-area institution--an all-male chorus called The Vocal Majority. It was a fairly random decision, based largely on the fact that there were very few other options that weekend. I wasn't entirely confident that we had made the right decision because The Vocal Majority's main claim to fame is that it has won some international barbershop competition 10 times. I just wasn't sure I was up for an evening of barbershop-quartet-type music. But as it turned out, we both really enjoyed it. The chorus is huge, maybe 120 men, and they were very talented and polished. For me, the highlight of the evening was their rendition of "Stars and Stripes Forever." I hadn't even known that the march had words to it, but their stirring performance brought the crowd to its feet. Also, I should mention that the Eisemann Center in Richardson, where the concert was held, is a very nice venue; I look forward to going back for other kinds of performing arts in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter