Monday, May 10, 2004

From That Guy Named David:

School of Rock (B)
I'll admit to being extremely skeptical about this movie after hearing the Movie Snob laud Jack Black as the "comedic genius of modern times" or some such something. Anyway, after watching this pleasant little movie, I'll admit that I was probably a little harsh with my baseless criticism of Black after hearing the Snob go on and on and on about his "unbelievable wit and incredible ability to bring the audience to tear-inducing laughter." The movie was pretty funny at times, except for the corniness of the plot in general. I still am not on the same line of thought as the Snob in thinking that Black is "the Bob Hope of the next generation," but I do think that this movie has its moments. The little Asian kid made me laugh too. Not bad.

Master and Commander (C-)
Wow. Talk about a movie that had a lot of hype and then landed with a massive thud as I wasted a Sunday morning watching this dreadful display of Waterworld on steroids. Note to Russell Crowe: you were good in Gladiator, but there is no need to play that role again. There was nothing about this movie that I enjoyed. Okay, so they get attacked by a bigger ship, then float around trying to find it, stumble upon an island or two, and then, voila... they find the ship and have a battle with it again. Such great writing. Oh, and that other guy from A Beautiful Mind (you know, the guy that really didn't exist), well, his performance is just as bland as Crowe's. And to think that my friend Becky said this was a very good movie when she went and saw it several months ago. Makes me wonder if she actually watched any of the movie.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter