Saturday, September 11, 2004

From The Movie Snob:

Hero (C-). When I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I was not particularly impressed. So why did I trouble to see this more-of-the-same Chinese import? Well, the reviews have been pretty stellar, and my best friend wanted to see it. And I'll admit that I was entertained for a while. The martial-arts scenes are pretty remarkable, and there are some very stylish scenes in the early going. But even at 96 minutes, the movie started to feel a little long, and then towards the end it suddenly springs this heavy, even leaden, political message on you. And the more I thought about it, the more offensive it got. Not to give anything away, but it seemed to me like nothing more than a heavy-handed apologia for the Communist tyranny that has kept the Chinese populace (not to mention the Tibetans and who knows who else) under the jackboot for so long. I'll take my flying swordfights without the Michael-Mooreish commentary, thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,
seriously you are wack. hero is an amazing piece of cinema in any langauge. this is cinematographer chris doyle's best work to date following his films for director wong kar wai. But I suppose there's always another american pie sequel around the corner.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter