Monday, October 04, 2004

View from Mars:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (C+) I went to see the "gimmick" that is Sky Captain with an open mind and I must admit I was a little disappointed. OK, I get the whole 1930's, 40's retro angle with the sepia/technicolor look, but what about story? At times, I can appreciate the grandeur that is becoming CGI infested movies, but when 95% of your whole movie is shot against bluescreen, it can become a little too much. Jude Law plays the titular character and Gwyneth Paltrow plays the Lois Lane/Katherine Hepburn female lead, Polly Perkins. They are more or less literally called upon to save the world and your action ensues from there. This is an escapist movie that lacked in story appeal. The one high in this movie, was the interaction between Law and Paltrow in their rendition of His Girl Friday, but this is probably due more to their acting talents than what they are given in this story. It does receive points for its uniqueness in style, but I hope this does not become the mainstream and instead is just another trendy Hollywood fad that will fade away soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter