Thursday, March 17, 2005

A new review from Nick at Nite:

Saw

My review of a movie as creepy and scary as this can only mean one thing, my wife is out of town and I got to rent whatever I wanted from Blockbuster. Some movies are so disgusting and depraved that they are morally reprehensible. For example, the movie Heathers teaches us it is okay to kill high school students that we do not like - this is bad - and the movie thus has no redeeming value; or the movie In the Army teaches us it is okay for Paulie Shore to make movies - again, this is bad - and the movie has no redeeming value. Saw is creepy and depraved . . . if it inspires any copycats, then I would be totally wigged out - and the movie has no redeeming value. It is the type of horror movie that bothers us because it could happen, it has some plausibility.

Some specifics about the movie. It is scary. It is not particularly gory. There are several grisly murders. It is supposed to be a thinking man's horror, suspense, mystery film. It is a less sophisticated version of Se7en with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman (one of only two movies where I have ever seen people put popcorn down because they were so emotionally involved in the film - the other is Schindler's List). If you get particularly spooked during this movie, as I did, then keep thinking to yourself isn't that actor Cary Elwes? Wasn't he in The Princess Bride and Robin Hood: Men in Tights? As for the film, I did not see any of the plot twists, of which there are many, coming. I was surprised three or four times at the end of the film - I thought I saw it coming, but really did not. I have still not figured out several things that happened in the movie. So I have some questions for anyone who will answer them. First, what was Cary Elwes doing that he should not have been doing? Second, why did the killer do what the killer was doing? Third, what did Adam do that got him in his situation?

I give this movie an A-.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an idiot. Saw sucked.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were we watching the same movie? Surely you must have been asleep throughout most of it. Otherwise, you would realize how asinine you sound.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disgusted in Dallas,

Thank you for your thought provoking commentary. You obviously put a great of time, energy, and thought into your commentary. Perhaps a little light could be shed on the tone of my review, if you were to read some of my other reviews.

Dear Idalou,

My wife has a good friend from Idalou. I hope it is not you. Why not look at some of my other reviews with disgusted in dallas and see the tone that was intended.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nic,

Infuriated and I have conferred. We take issue with only one of your previous posts: Jeepers Creepers 2 is deserving of an A-, at least. It is truly a great film and should be considered a modern classic.

Maybe the three of us could get together soon. I think the director's cut of Alien vs. Predator is playing at the Inwood.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter