Wednesday, January 04, 2006

DVD review from Nick at Nite:

The 40 Year Old Virgin

My wife really, really wanted to see this movie. I went to the local Blockbuster on three separate occasions and came back with other movies. I finally secured a copy of The 40 Year Old Virgin on my fourth trip. My wife was thrilled until she saw the movie. Please don't misunderstand me, my wife has a good sense of humor, she just doesn't appreciate humor when its focus is on the lowest common denominator. This movie is not Blazing Saddles (Slapstick and Clever), Wedding Crashers (Clever), Stir Crazy (Slapstick), or Ishtar (unintentionally funny). Put another way, we missed the entire American Pie craze because she was so deeply troubled by the first five minutes of the first film that we turned it off and did not see any of the series of sequels. She gave this movie an "F." On the other hand, I thought it was greatness. I give it an "A." The waxing scene is a classic. The drunk date is a riot. The sexual education class is a hoot. Several bit characters give stellar performances. The store manager is extremely funny. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter