Friday, November 09, 2007

The Jane Austen Book Club

New review from The Movie Snob

The Jane Austen Book Club (B+). Okay, my grade for this flick is probably a little high. It's just a cute, somewhat predictable movie about five gals and a guy who start a book club to read (duh) Jane Austen. And wouldn't you know it, their lives kind of mirror the various plots from the books they're reading! Featuring a large cast that includes Maria Bello (Coyote Ugly), Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada), Jimmy Smits (Revenge of the Sith), and Lynn Redgrave (Peter Pan, 2003 version), this is sort of like the movie version of comfort food. If you have read some or all of Jane Austen's novels, you'll probably enjoy it a little more than if you haven't. And, if you're like me, the movie will make you want to go read the ones you haven't.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this movie without ever having read any of Jane Austen's books -- I'm not sure why I haven't read them but I haven't -- so now I am reading Emma and loving it. I plan on reading all the rest of them too! I thought the movie was a little disjointed but likeable all the same.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter