Friday, December 14, 2007

Beowulf

New review from The Movie Snob

Beowulf (B+). For best results, I recommend that you see this movie the way I did if at all possible -- in 3D at an IMAX theater. Under those conditions, the visuals are so spectacular that you won't mind the deficiencies in the story-telling and Angelina Jolie's odd accent too much. The 3D effects are very good, and the weird computer animation they use is head and shoulders better than the same technique was back when they made The Polar Express. Anyhoo, this is a 21st-century embellishment of the tale of Beowulf. Actually, I don't know if I ever read any sort of unabridged version of Beowulf, but I do remember some child's version I once read. As I recall, a giant named Grendel plagued the land of King Hrothgar until the mighty hero Beowulf came along and took care of business. And then Grendel's mother, who was some sort of dragon-like creature, came along to avenge her son, and Beowulf had to settle her hash too. In this retelling, Grendel's mom is, well, Angelina Jolie, and things go a little differently. I got a kick out of it, but be warned that there is some pretty gross stuff -- squeamish folks will want to close their eyes, especially whenever Grendel is on the scene. But if you liked 300, you should like this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, the Final Verdict was comparable if not better than Beowolf. Beowolf in Imax was the biggest waste of 16 dollars I have spent in quite awhile. Granted, the fighting and acting was at times cheesy, but they coulda made this film much more religious and thank god they didn't. Beowulf sucked. Animation, dialogue, acting. Keep trying with the movie reviews though.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter