Friday, June 06, 2008

Sex and the City

New review from The Movie Snob

Sex and the City (C-). Okay, let me explain. My pal Wendy and I actually set out to see the new Indiana Jones movie, which I also didn't really want to see. Yes, I am one of the eight people in America that find the Indiana Jones series to be lackluster entertainment. Anyhoo, that movie was sold out, and since we were already there I agreed to see this movie.

I write as one who has never seen a single episode of the television series and who agrees with the apparent consensus that Sarah Jessica Parker (Mars Attacks!) is not particularly attractive. But probably everyone has some idea of the gist of the thing, and the opening scenes introduce the characters and set the stage quite effectively to show what the four protagonists have been up to since cancellation. The main plot revolves around Carrie (Parker) and her engagement to a personality-free tycoon (Chris Noth, Mr. 3000) who apparently has a real name but is known to all as Mr. Big, or simply "Big." The four gal pals support each other as three of them are beset by relationship problems. The movie featured less vulgar language, more potty humor, and about the amount of sex I expected. And there were a few laugh-out-loud moments, which rescued the movie from the much-worse grade I would have given it if I were grading for the dramatic elements alone. Bottom line, I can't recommend it, but you'll like it if this is the kind of thing you like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter