Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Great Movies II (book review)

Book review from The Movie Snob

The Great Movies II, by Roger Ebert (Broadway 2005). Although I don't always agree with Ebert's reviews, they are usually a pleasure to read. In this volume, he shares a hundred essays about movies he considers great, without trying to rank them against each other. (They're in alphabetical order in the book.) Many of the movies are quite old, so to see them all would definitely require a Netflix subscription, and maybe a quarter or a third are foreign-language films. I was reasonably satisfied to find that I had seen about 20 or 21 of the movies in this list, and I was delighted to see This Is Spinal Tap make the cut. I don't know what he sees in Annie Hall, but anybody who will put Spinal Tap on the list of all-time great movies (and quote the entire exchange between Nigel Tufnel and Marty DeBergi about custom amplifiers that go to 11) is okay in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter