Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

DVD review from The Movie Snob

Dawn of the Dead (B). This is the 2004 version, not the famous 1978 original (which I have never seen). I am not a fan of horror films, so I'm not sure why I picked it up out of the bargain bin at Walmart and bought the thing. Today the ice storm shut Dallas down, so I made wise use of my time by watching this movie. It adheres to what I understand to be the conventions of zombie movies: zombies roam the streets in search of living flesh to eat, and whoever gets bitten by a zombie sooner or later turns into a zombie. In this movie, the wave of zombification seems to swamp the world in a hurry. A nurse (Sarah Polley, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen), a cop (Ving Rhames, Entrapment), and several others elude the zombies long enough to barricade themselves into a mall. There they await rescue, make contact with another survivor who's holed up in a gun shop across the way, and endure various setbacks and zombie incursions. I can't compare it to the original, but I thought this movie was pretty good for what it was--lots of gruesomeness and gore, and some decent characters to root for as they try fend off the undead horde. By the way, you have to watch the ending credits if you want to know the whole story...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fine film. It is a remake. The original was made in the 70s or early 80s and in a way is a fun time capsule. The non-zombies are again stuck in a mall. The mall resembles the old Sears catalog. The best of the zombie genre is either 28 Days Later or Shaun of the Dead. This is a close second group with Night of the Living Dead.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter