Sunday, April 20, 2003

A book review from The Movie Snob:

Lincoln’s Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural, by Ronald C. White, Jr. (2002). In this study of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address, Professor White closely examines both the text of the speech and its wellsprings in the political and religious commitments of its author. I enjoyed it. Reading about the Great Emancipator reminded me of one of my less successful job interviews. It was 1990, and I was 22, just graduated from college, and looking for summer employment to keep me busy until law school started in the fall. I applied for a job as a sacker at Kroger, and I interviewed with someone that I assume was the store manager, an African-American woman. Noting my college degree and politics major, she asked me whom I thought the greatest president was, and, probably never having thought about it before, I said Lincoln. She probed further and asked me about the more modern presidents. Completely oblivious to my interviewer’s probable party affiliation, I thought for a moment or two and said Ronald Reagan. She said her pick would be Jimmy Carter, the interview was swiftly brought to an end, and I never heard from that Kroger again. Which, I suppose, goes to show that majoring in politics does not necessarily make a person politically astute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter