Thursday, October 09, 2003

DVD review from the Snob.

Sunset Boulevard. (B+) I saw the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical in London a few years ago, but I had never seen the 1950 film version. When I watched it on DVD the other night, I was amazed at how exactly Webber duplicated the movie in his musical. If there was a scene in the movie that wasn't in the musical, I missed it. Anyhow, the movie was very good, and the dialogue really crackles in places (especially towards the beginning). The protagonist is a cynical, down-on-his-luck screenwriter who accidentally comes into the orbit of Norma Desmond, an aging former star of silent film, now living the life of a recluse in her ramshackle Hollywood mansion, eternally plotting the comeback that will never happen. Dramatic consequences ensue. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter