Wednesday, October 13, 2004

DVD review from That Guy Named David:


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (B+)

After watching this movie for about 20 minutes, I was tempted to turn it off. I thought that the cast (and specifically, Jim Carrey) was trying way too hard to make the movie into some weird, "look at me, I can act very odd and keep plodding through with no plot" kind of movie. It reminded me a little of Mulholland Drive, without the scenes that make Mulholland Drive worth watching. Well, I think my problem was that I had read nothing about the movie and once I got an idea of what was going on, I realized that I should be patient and give the movie a chance to develop. In retrospect, I'm glad that I did. Once it all clicked (which for my dense brain, occurred about 30 minutes into the movie), I thought the movie was extremely well-done and the acting was superb. Even the ending was a nice touch, which I was a little worried about once I began to enjoy the movie. Anyway, it's a definite renter. I may even buy it eventually. I'm becoming a big fan of those "Focus Features" (Lost in Translation, The Pianist, Being John Malkovich, Wet Hot American Summer, etc.).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter