Sunday, October 10, 2004

From the desk of The Movie Snob:

Last night I took in a performance by the Irving Symphony Orchestra at the Carpenter Performance Hall in the Irving Arts Center, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ll admit to being a tad apprehensive—would the ensemble include jugs, washboards, and spoons? But I had no cause for concern. The orchestra was polished and professional, and the Hall was a very nice facility. It was the opening concert for the 2004-2005 season, and the theme for the year is "Let’s Tour the World." This concert was devoted to American composers, and it focused unabashedly on popular music, including several pieces adapted from Broadway musicals, as well as big band and Duke Ellington medleys. The evening wrapped up with a "Star Wars Symphonic Suite," which certainly suited my taste. I’ll be watching for the next concert, entitled "The Great European Tradition," on November 13. If you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, I encourage you to consider checking out the ISO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter