Monday, March 28, 2005

A DVD review from the Movie Snob:

God Is Great, and I'm Not (D). First of all, a few observations about Blockbuster Video. Is Netflix about to run the corner video store out of business? I went to my local Blockbuster store yesterday for the first time in probably six months, and I was amazed. Aside from the "new releases" displayed on the walls, it seemed like most of the shelves were empty. And the new releases themselves were a vast collection of dreck. Maybe 3/4 of the titles were terrible, direct-to-video-looking horror movies like "Endangered Species" and "Tomb of the Werewolf" or soft-core murder-mystery junk. It was appalling. I'm kind of bummed because, although I don't rent movies very often (obviously), I'd prefer to have a decent selection when the mood does strike.

Still, I hoped maybe I'd gotten out with a winner in this French comedy starring Audrey Tautou. (Surely I've seen all of her films by now.) Alas, no. She plays Michele, an emotionally fragile 20-year-old fashion model who is on an intense, if perhaps shallow, spiritual quest. When she starts dating a handsome older man named Francois, she quickly ascertains that he's Jewish and abandons her recently acquired Buddhism for Judaism instead. Francois, being a non-practicing Jew who is somewhat paranoid about anti-Semitism, is mostly annoyed by this, but he and Michele make a go of it for quite a while. Although the premise has some promise, the movie is just not very good. Maybe I'm just a dumb American, but it seemed like too many things were left unexplained - or maybe French people just naturally behave in an inexplicable manner. I dunno.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter