Sunday, July 31, 2005

From the desk of The Movie Snob:

Deep Blue (A-). As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I was a big fan of Jacques Cousteau specials when I was a kid, so I was eager to see this documentary on the big screen. It did not disappoint. It is a beautifully filmed survey of wildlife in our oceans and at the water's edge, including critters such as: albatrosses, seals, dolphions, killer whales, sharks, swordfish, crabs, jellyfish, and all sorts of weird and ghastly beasts that live way down at the bottom of the sea. Be warned, there are a couple of fairly gruesome scenes in which predators get after some sympathetic victims. A few minor quibbles: I'm pretty sure they borrowed some footage from both the current March of the Penguins and James Cameron's recent Aliens of the Deep. The narration by Pierce Brosnan is good as far as it goes, but I would have appreciated more explanation of what I was seeing. But these are truly quibbles; the images and the accompanying musical soundtrack are generally awesome. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter