Sunday, August 01, 2004

Before Sunset (B). This is a sequel to a movie I did not see, Before Sunrise, but I had heard all about it and you probably have too. In the first movie, a young American guy named Jesse (Ethan Hawke) met a young French girl named Celine (Julie Delpy) on a train. They spent a magical night together, walking and talking in the streets of Vienna, and then before parting agreed to meet there again in six months. All this is quickly recapped at the beginning of Before Sunset, which is set nine years after the first movie (which I think did come out nine years ago). Jesse is a successful writer on a book tour in Paris, where he meets up with Celine at a book-signing event. The rest of this fairly short movie is the two of them talking and walking in the streets of Paris. I enjoyed the movie, perhaps not least because Jesse and Celine are almost my age, the three of us being at the older end of Generation X. The conversation is realistic, and the characters are mostly believable as their stories come tumbling out, piecemeal, over the rest of the afternoon. Jesse and Celine aren’t really my kind of people, but I enjoyed getting to know them all the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter