Tuesday, August 03, 2004

From Movie Man Mike:

I, Robot (B-). When I first saw the previews for this movie, I thought, "Nope, not gonna see it. They'll just ruin the original story." I saw another preview at some later point and changed my mind because it appeared the makers of this one tried their best to keep this story part of the serious sci-fi genre to which it belongs. I am glad I changed my mind. The producers of this one kept the three laws of robotics, which are the genius that hold Isaac Asimov's short stories together, and the movie generally followed the general story-line of the original (although my memory has faded somewhat since I read it so long ago). I forget that Will Smith can do serious drama when he wants to, and he displayed some great dramatic performances as technophobe policeman Del Spooner. Of course, he also had a couple of moments of comedy, which one expects from Will Smith. There were a some very cheesy commercial plugs for shoes, cars, and a motorcycle, which were almost painful to overlook. The CGI was very good insofar as making the faces of the androids look so human, but there were moments when there was just too much CGI for me. The film is packed with action as one might expect and it is all good fun. Definitely a "B" sci-fi movie, but worth the price of admission for sci-fi fans and Will Smith fans. (By the way Will is still in great shape from having bulked up for Ali.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter